Global Cooling Prize of $3 Million for Reinventing Air Conditioning with Richard BransonPosted on 28th December 2018 by ACS GB Ltd
Investors, departments of Science and Technology and the prize’s ambassador, billionaire philanthropist, Sir Richard Branson, are offering the Global Cooling Prize of $3 million to anyone who can reinvent the air conditioner to make it environmentally friendly.
With more homeowners installing AC units into their homes due to the increase in global temperature, there is a higher demand for this technology, but as a by-product is producing tonnes of carbon emissions.
Check out this video Richard Branson has made for the project:
This is why the international competition is being launched to find a way to protect the planet and make AC units more accessible to the target market.
The innovative environmentally friendly air conditioning unit must meet these requirements:
– X5 less impactful on the environment (than the units we have today)
– X2 less of the normal shelf price of an AC unit
– Must be made from specific materials
– Maintenance of units must meet particular rules and regulations
Global Cooling Prize Timeline
– November 2018 – Prize launch
– June 2019 – Preliminary application deadline
– August 2019 – Technical application deadline
– July to October 2019 – Application evaluation
– November 2019 – Finalist announcement
– May to September 2020 – Prototypes and testing
– October 2020 – Final presentations and participant workshops
– November/December 2020 – Final award ceremony
Up to the task? Click here for more information.
Research has been presented by those backing the Global Cooling Prize, showing the forecast of how air conditioning units will triple in sales within the next 3 decades – by 2050.
Currently, 1.2 billion air conditioning units are being sold but within 30 years it is projected to be increasing to 4.5 billion. With more homes using this technology by 2050, it’s important to tackle the impact it will have on the environment as this alone can raise the temperature by 0.5c.
This is why this competition is seeking out an individual who can tackle this problem with a product that has less impact on our global emissions – keeping the world cool and its users cool, too.
Air Conditioning Services GB work throughout the East Midlands, South Yorkshire and the UK, offering all customers free site surveys and quotations along with emergency breakdown cover provided by our in-house team of fully qualified engineers. For expert advice and market leading brands and systems, call today – we’re more than happy to help.